Brevan Howard now has just one trader at partner level and handful of senior staff operating out of its Swiss office in a signal that its UK office has now become a central location for front office staff.
In a recent filing on Companies House, the hedge fund outlined where its senior employees are located. We’ve broken out the list below. There are now just six partners based out of Brevan Howard’s Swiss office, suggests the document, down from 11 last year. Meanwhile, headcount at its London office has increased – albeit by just two people following some senior departures over the course of 2014.
What’s more significant than the number, however, is that three of the Swiss-based employees are founding partners – Alan Howard, Nagi Kawkabani and Trifon Natsis. Aron Landy is the chief risk officer for the office, while Samir Bouaoudia appears to be the sole trader in Switzerland.
The filling was the Annual Return for Brevan Howard’s UK partnership, so does not include all members of the group across the world. However, of the 45 publicly searchable profiles of the company’s Swiss-based employees, only four – traders Amit Sharma and Bob Kuijpers and portfolio managers Adrian Hilton and Claire McCathie – were in money management roles. Meanwhile, there were 166 UK employees listed.
The filing follows reports of how the low tax rates in Switzerland have failed to convince most of Brevan Howard’s traders of the merits of basing themselves out of Geneva. Most traders have been unable to persuade their families to move to Switzerland and have requested a move back to London. This is an about turn on its previous strategy – in 2010 it relocated most senior front office staff to Geneva for tax reasons.
1. Craig Adams
2. Edmund Allen
3. Daniel Bernheim, head of sales
4. Christopher Coleman, quantitative developer
5. Karl Devine, trader (moved from Switzerland)
6. Andrea French, COO, trading (moved to Chris Rokos’ family office in August 2014)
7. Mark Hillery, senior trader
8. Roberto Hoornweg, trader
9. Vivienne Jack
10. Bevan Kaminer
11. Richard Kent
12. Enrico Martinez, financial analyst
13. Jonathan Matthews
14. Jev Mehmet, COO, London
15. Jezri Mohideen, trader
16. Klaus Oestergaard, portfolio manager
17. Luc Pajot, founding partner
18. Robin Pollock, partner
19. Miriam Porat, head of risk
20. Michael Stromsoe, head of investor relations
21. Gregor Thomson
22. Alexander Underwood, general counsel
23. Gertjan Vlieghe, economist
1. Alan Howard, founder
2. Nagi Kawkabani, founding partner
3. Trifon Natsis, founding partner
4. Jeremy Benjamin
5. Samir Bouaoudia, trader
6. Aron Landy, chief risk officer
Kaspar Ernst, CIO, Brevan Howard Hong Kong