If you want to work at Goldman Sachs and you’re not following the Goldman Sachs Careers Twitter feed you may be missing something. Ok, they don’t exactly tweet any groundbreaking information about to differentiate yourself from the 45 other people applying for the same job, but they do broadcast some scenes from the summer internship programme and will draw your attention to careers-related speeches by Lloyd Blankfein.
Arguably more interesting than the content of Goldman’s Twitter feed itself, however, are the people and places Goldman’s Careers Twitter feed follows. @GSCareers is predictably selective, following only 128 other Twitter accounts, many of them run by university careers services. We deduce, broadly, that these are the global universities from which Goldman likes to hire.
Some of them are a little unexpected – Barnard College, for example, specializes in the liberal arts – even though our research suggests banks are predominantly interested in economics graduates. On the other hand, Barnard College is for women only, and Goldman needs to feed its diversity pipeline. Goldman also follows Loughborough University and Aston University in Birmingham. As interesting as the institutions Goldman follows are those it doesn’t follow – for example, there’s no sign of INSEAD, Cass, or IESE. (The bank does note that the institutions it follows change daily and that you can be petition to be followed by getting in touch via email@example.com.)
Goldman didn’t comment on our deduction. But if we’re right, here’s where you should be studying if you want to work at Goldman Sachs – based upon who Goldman Sachs’ careers service is following right now on Twitter. We’ve listed the 25 most recent institutions followed by Goldman below, for the rest click here.
1. Imperial College (@imperialcareers).
2. University College London (@UCLCareers)
3. Cambridge University (@CamCareers)
4. Oxford University (@OxfordCareers)
5. London School of Economics (@LSECareers)
6. Warwick University (@WarwickCareers)
7. University of Utah (@UUtah)
8. Mary Baldwin College (@MaryBaldwinColl)
9. Chatham University (@ChathamU)
10. Smith College (@SmithCollege)
11. Scripps College (@ScrippsCollege)
12. Bryn Mawr College (@BrynMawrCollege)
13. Barnard College (@BarnardCollege)
14. UCLA Anderson (@UCLAAnderson)
15. Yale School of Managment (@YaleSom)
16. Darden School of Business (@DardenMBA)
17. Duke Fuqua School of Business (@DukeFuqua)
18. Ross School of Business (@MichiganRoss)
19. Tuck School of Business (@TuckSchool)
20. Columbia Business School (@Columbia_Biz)
21. Haas School of Business (@BerkeleyHaas)
22. Chicago Booth (@Booth_Insider)
23. Kellogg School (@StanfordBiz)
24. MIT Sloan (@MITSloan)
25. NYU Stern (@NYUStern)